Personal Funding

There are many personal grants available from both from Pembroke (here and here) and the University . These options should be pursued directly through College or University, rather than through the JPC.

Society Funding


  • Link to the 2018/19 GAC reimbursement request form here! You can claim reimbursement until the end of Michaelmas 2019, but please do it sooner rather than later.
  • 2019/2020 GAC reimbursement form is not currently active – see email sent 12/10/19 for application form
  • View the 2018-19 GAC Allocation Spreadsheet (contains the 2017/18 and 2018/19 funding cycle allocations, as well as the current balance of each society) Note: Make sure to use your google account to access!

  • If you have questions, please see the FAQs down below. Contact the treasurer at if you're still unsure!

    Funding Pools Available

    The 'GAC'

    Pembroke’s societies are provided with a pool of money called the GAC (General Amenities Committee) fund -this is affectionately pronounced 'gack'. The pool is intended to cover costs which are unreasonable for students themselves to pay – for example, league entry fees or equipment.

    At the start of the academic year, all societies send an application for GAC funding to the JPC Treasurer, based how much they expect to need. Once the allocation is set, those societies can fill in a form to request reimbursement for their expenses in the form of a cheque. There is also a sum of about £750 set aside for new clubs which might form during the year.

    The Peter May Fund

    The Peter May fund is a separate pool of money, which:

  • Allows sports clubs to purchase equipment, such as tennis rackets or rugby balls.
  • Covers half the cost of sports equipment and transport for individuals playing sport at a high level. (See here)

  • The first of these is allocated during the GAC process above, giving an additional pool to sports societies of approximately £1k. Reimbursement for such expenses is acquired by filling the same form as for the GAC, but instead of a cheque, the money is bank transferred. There’s no need to do anything special during the funding application process, but it will be noted in the final allocation if something comes under Peter May.

    Other Funds

    There are many other awards and grants available from the College, but this is beyond the scope of the JPC. See the Pembroke wesbite for more information.

    Allocation Process

    Submitting a Request

    In the first weekend of Week 1 of Michaelmas, an application form will be emailed to all undergraduates by the JPC Treasurer. Fill this in, considering all items of expenditure your society will have. Note that not all items may be approved, and some items may be given partial funding. A given society’s budget is unlikely to change drastically from previous years without good reason.

    The following will be considered in the approval process:

  • Necessity of the expenses, and whether the activities would be inaccessible without funding (is it unreasonable for students to cover it?)
  • Potential impact of expenses (e.g. how many students will benefit?)
  • Expenditure in recent years (how much was allocated, and how much of that was spent?)
  • Current assets (societies should not be making profit from GAC or students)
  • Relationship to Pembroke (societies that are not internal to Pembroke College, or for which Pembroke is not a key player, will be disfavoured)

  • Approval

    Toward the end of October, the JPC Treasurer will provide a provisional allocation. There will be an open JPC meeting in which all undergraduates may voice their opinions. After this, the allocation will be finalised by the College's Finance Manager.

    Frequently Asked Questions/Frequently Exclaimed Exclamations

    What can I use instead of a receipt to provide evidence of a purchase?

    In approximately descending order of preference, you can provide any of the following:

  • Original receipt/photo of receipt
  • PDF/image of email confirmation
  • A statement signed by relevant parties (e.g. for referee fees)
  • A screenshot/image of the purchase on your bank statement

  • If you have none of the above, please contact the JPC Treasurer. An exception is for kit washing costs: no receipt need be provided; please instead supply a breakdown of individual wash costs and dates.

    Am I allowed to deviate from my precise GAC allocation?

    Within reason, yes. However, for anything nontrivial, you must notify the JPC Treasurer before you do this, or there is no guarantee you will be reimbursed.

    I need more money than I was allocated! What can I do?

    Don't panic! There is almost always GAC money left unspent at the end of the year, whether from the new club fund or due to societies not using their full allocations. Email the JPC Treasurer with your situation, and they will either:

  • Agree to allocate you a portion of the remaining funds at the end of the year (note that there is a small possibility you will not be reimbursed)
  • Immediately allocate you a portion of the new club fund, if the situation is considered to call for it.

  • Otherwise, you will unfortunately have to find alternative funding or make cuts in other areas of your allocation.

    I want to start up a new club but missed the funding deadline. What can I do?

    That’s precisely what the New Club Fund is for! Please contact the JPC Treasurer with your club idea and projected costs.

    I haven’t received my cheque!

    If it takes more than two weeks to receive your GAC cheque or Peter May bank transfer, please contact the JPC Treasurer.

    I've lost my cheque!

    Please contact the JPC Treasurer immediately. The cheque will be cancelled and a new one given.